Most of us in New Jersey were brought up hearing “five a day” in regard to servings of fruits and vegetables. Now, however, the Centers for Disease Control are telling us seven servings a day is better. We all know we could use more fruits and vegetables in our diet, but which kinds provide the greatest health benefits and the most help with weight loss new jersey?
Building a diet rich in vegetables and fruits is beneficial because you get a diet low in calories, high in fiber, and full of antioxidants. Try to incorporate a variety of colors in your fruits and vegetables to make your plate more appealing, boost your health benefits and lose weight. Here are some of the best super vegetables and fruits to add to your diet:
- Red: Tomatoes, watermelon, red bell peppers and pink grapefruit contain lycopene that may help fight prostate and lung cancers.
- Orange: Pumpkin, mango, carrots and oranges contain beta carotene. This is thought to reduce the risk of heart disease, improve immune system function and prevent certain types of cancer, including stomach, esophagus and lung.
- Green: Broccoli, spinach, collard greens, bok choy and brussels sprouts contain several components beneficial to attempts to lose weight and improve health. Lutein may reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease. Folate shows promise in preventing heart disease and sulforaphane detoxifies cancer-causing chemicals before they can damage the body.
- Purple: Blueberries, prunes and concord grapes provide anthocyanins that may prevent clot formation and ward off heart disease while lowering your cancer risk.
- White: Mushrooms, cauliflower, onions and banana all contain allicin and anthoxanthins, which protect against stomach cancer and can help lower your blood pressure.